Art - what does it mean?

I've been seeing articles all week about Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. How famous they are. How odd their relationship was.

The last Rivera sale was last week:

http://www.artnews.com/2018/05/09/diego-rivera-painting-sells-9-76-million-new-record-latin-american-art-auction-christies-second-rockefeller-sale/


The final comment to every article was about how his art fetches twice as much money as hers.

Can we sort this out?

Tell me the name of any female painter whose work fetches the same as the work of a man.

In terms of artists, you might manage to find the names of Berthe Morisot and Louise Bourgeois, but do their works fetch the same prices as those of their male contemporaries? Not a hope.

Why is that?

Let me hazard a guess. The art teachers are mostly men. The dealers who sell your art works are mostly men. The critics who can make you famous are mostly men.

Of the 5 pictures on my walls, 4 are by men. I think that's kind of normal.

Of course, it's changing but some of us out here are wondering why it's taking so long. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for having me

Long Covid

Boogaloo