Stuart Murdoch and ME

It's not really cheering to learn that Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian has had ME since 1990:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44085954


I've had a bad week but, after 2 years of CFS/ME, I 'm still at the stage where I think okay, surely this must be as bad as it gets.

I went for blood tests on Tuesday at my local medical centre and had to stop three times on my way back from the main building to the car park - about 100 yards. But at least I managed to drive there, walk in, have a coffee and - slowly - walk back to the car.  Admittedly, I've spent the three days since sleeping.

Reading what Stuart says means it could be worse. He writes that 25% of ME sufferers are 'bed-ridden'. Now I'm thinking: Is that me? Is that going to happen to me? Would it help if I just took to my bed? I mean, instead of keeping going.

Like a lot of people with CFS/ME, I don't even have a proper diagnosis, just a jumble of symptoms that seem to add up to CFS/ME and a sympathetic GP who really doesn't know. It amazes me that people with conditions like fibromyalgia get a diagnosis pretty quickly, while those of us with CFS/ME go on wondering: Is it me? Am I mad? What is wrong with me?

I want to get better. I love the days when I feel well. And I make the most of them. Is that the best thing to do? Can someone advise me? Or should I just do what Florence Nightingale did and lie down for - what - 30 years?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for having me

Long Covid

Boogaloo