Period Poverty















Just an idle question...

I caught an ad on TV tonight by a company that sells sanitary products. The ad was built round the issue of period poverty and was looking for donations - presumably from girls and women who buy these products - to help girls and women who can't afford them.

My question is: what's the profit margin on these products? I don't expect the company to sell products at a loss, but is there no room for the business to cut their profits by a small amount and use the surplus to provide sanitary goods for poor girls and women? Maybe through schools, food banks, doctors' surgeries, etc.

In the days when I had to buy sanitary products, I was always amazed at how much they cost. It seems to be like this for many products aimed at women. Not just perfume and make-up but pink razors come to mind: there's a price to be paid for being female, at least in the eyes of some manufacturers.

And if we just accept this, hell mend us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for having me

Long Covid

Boogaloo