Bloody Brexit

It's no use. Everything is annoying me today.

I'm really pleased the anti-Brexit petition is heading towards 5 million signatures. And I wasn't surprised that the usual suspects turned up claiming the Russians were 'interfering' with the petition and that it was obvious that many of the names were fake (despite the fact you have to give your email address and can't be counted as a voter till you answer an email message - in my case, that took 20 hours to come through).

It wasn't that surprising, surely, that about a million people turned up in London to protest about Brexit. The UK media started off by talking about 'hundreds' of people marching; moved on to thousands; and right now are just about coming round to the idea of a million marchers. And it's not that surprising that the UK media reacted to the march the way they did: on Sky, a young woman journalist went on at length about how people (she means me) are trying to destroy democracy. Nobody argued with her. (Matthew Sayed, I'm ashamed of you). And nobody even mentioned the High Court's decision that the EU referendum wasn't a legally binding vote. Or the fact that the Brexit campaign was surrounded by so much dishonesty - step up, Aron Banks - that there must surely be a few folk destined to make court appearances in years to come.

I admit I'm torn: on the one hand, I'm delighted that some people in the UK have got their political awakening through Brexit; on the other hand, I'm not sure this awakening will last. In Scotland, we know that it takes a lot of work to keep people aware of the need for vigilance.

Meanwhile, the cat is shedding and that means hairs are constantly finding their way up my nose. But that's okay - she lives here. She's great at staring is Missy. I'd love to give her 5 minutes staring at Theresa May. I know who'd win.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for having me

Long Covid

Boogaloo