It's not us - it's them

I woke up at 06.30 this morning and switched on the radio while I was making my breakfast. The kitchen radio is tuned to R4 (I have 4 radios in my wee flat) and the programme was about 'Growing hops in Surrey.' I don't know what a hop is. Or what you do with one once you've grown it.

I am fed up with the BBC obsession with 'the Home Counties'. I'm not entirely sure where the Home Counties are. They're just not here or anywhere I'm likely to be. James Robertson wrote a poem about this: as he says, we're mostly dealing with the news/weather/life 'where you are.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhL57cjN8xY

Getting out of London and into the rest of the UK seems to be a big deal for the BBC these days. I don't understand this: there was a time when we got 'reports' from all over the UK on 'national TV'. Why did that stop?

When I lived and worked in Argyll, radio reception was pretty poor, so I got used to listening to Eire and Northern Ireland radio. They were both pretty good, except for the odd broadcast that started: 'And now a display of Irish dancing from Cork County Hall' followed by a lot of foot tapping.

The difference is I didn't pay for either the radio in Eire or Northern Ireland.

The idiocy of BBC Scotland is way beyond that and I'm paying for it. Apparently, the BBC has set up a special channel dedicated to Scottish news and views - and it's not doing well. I'm told it was set up because of 'pressure groups'. That no doubt means the SNP. I don't remember any pressure from other Scottish political parties.

I'm a Scottish Green and I haven't heard of any 'in depth' examination of Green issues on this channel - you know, democracy, land ownership, equality - the main tenets of Green ideology. Has there been any analysis of Labour or Conservative ideas?

Or is the new BBC channel a sop? A way to stop the Scots bleating about how unfair life is? Is it, in other words, a total waste of time and money? Designed to fail by people with no imagination and what my nephews call 'a bad attitude' ?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for having me

Long Covid

Boogaloo