Oor Kez's New Gig


I've spent ages trying to download a fotie of Kezia Dugdale. That's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. But here she is.

I know what she did as leader of 'Scottish ' Labour - heehaw, in my opinion - but I have nae idea what she did after that, apart from appearing in some celebrity jungle show. I hope she was a good constituency MSP - we paid her enough - but now she's off again, this time to be the head/chief/CEO/
boss of - well, I don't know what you would call it - a think tank at Glasgow University set up in the name of John Smith, our lost Labour leader. (And I would never say a word against him).

I'm not sure if I've got the time frame right: Kez announced she was resigning maybe on Tuesday of this week. On Wednesday, there was an outraged article in The National about what was going on. The next day, there was a page - a full page - written by Catherine Smith, youngest daughter of John Smith and chair of said think tank, defending her appointment.

So let's just get a few things out of the way: the Smiths have sold Glasgow University on the idea of this think tank and now seem to have the right to put together a board of their choosing. The board can appoint anyone they like as CEO.

But I'm sure no one will mind if I ask a few questions. I am after all a graduate of the university so I want to know that everything is above board.

What is this think tank for? What will it add to the work of Glasgow University (apart from money)?And who's paying for it?

Who is on the board of the think tank? And why are they there?

What qualifications does Catherine Smith have to chair the board?

What was the interview process that led to Kezia Dugdale being appointed CEO? (I mean, if she's going to be doing the business in Scotland, we should know how she was appointed).

How will we know if the think tank is doing a good job? What will happen if it fails to do a good job? And who will judge?

What is the 'value-added' of this think tank? (The term has no doubt changed since I retired, but what I mean is: what do we - the public - get out of it?)

I know all these questions seem picky, but we have experience in Scotland of these 'think tanks'. Take a look, if you will, at Reform Scotland. It claims to be working to improve Scottish education:

https://reformscotland.com/reformpeople/advisory-board/

This lot has been around for yonks. Can you remember any of their publications? Me neither. But they've managed to get themselves made a registered charity (which is more than local authority schools can do). Do they contribute to the education or welfare of our kids?

If you think so, show me!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for having me

Long Covid

Boogaloo