IT'S CHRISTMAS!

Well, no, it's not. Not yet anyhow. We've still got 10 weeks to go.

Last year, I gave up on Christmas cards and donated the money saved to Glasgow South-west Foodbank. I commend this action to the house and I will do it again this year. I can give you their bank details if you want them.

Also this year, I think I will give up on wrapping paper and gift tags. The problem with that is it kinda looks mean - or even, since my sister and her man often share the cost of prezzies and thus wrapping paper - as if I'm dodging my Christmas duties.

And then, I find myself wondering,why am I 'doing' Christmas at all? I'm an atheist. I gave up all interest in religion when I was about 13. I have had to fake it for weddings, christenings and funerals. But honestly, even if there was a prophet called Jesus Christ or Mohammad or...sorry, I've run out names...it doesn't matter to me. Not that I want to stop other people celebrating Christmas. If people are happy to believe in the Baby Jesus, that's fine.

At last Sunday's lunch I asked my great-nephew if he had any ideas what he would like for Christmas. He's 4 so he didn't. I didn't push it but I did ask if he thought the Elf on the Shelf would be at his house this Christmas. Of course he did. He loves the Elf on the Shelf. And I'm quite happy to go along with it.

I also remembered an atheist friend who heard her wee boy's pal telling her son there was no such person as Santa. She took him aside. 'Don't tell him,' she said. 'He still believes Santa exists'.. Only then did she realise that her wee boy's pal also believed in Santa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for having me

Long Covid

Boogaloo